My Favourite Cheesy Pasta
I'm really excited to share this recipe with you because we both love it so much and it's really quick to make. It's ready in the time it takes to cook the pasta! I've adapted the recipe that I saw over on Brianna Jackfruitson's YouTube Channel a while ago. I love this sauce as it tastes great, isn't that unhealthy and it doesn't include cashews. Personally, I'm not a fan of sauces that use cashews as a base, but that might be because my food processor isn't strong enough to make a smooth sauce.
I've adapted the recipe slightly to incorporate ingredients which Michael Greger M.D suggests are beneficial for us (such as miso & mustard powder). I've also added black pepper as it is suggested to boost the absorption of turmeric. I like to make this with a big side of greens & mushrooms so Mr B & I can get as many vitamins & minerals as possible. This recipe also works really with a garlic baguette if you're in the mood for comfort food.
As a side note - I always make sure I have Miso paste in my fridge. Miso paste is fermented soy beans and is a probiotic rich food to feed your microbiome (gut). It might seem an expensive buy at £4 a packet, but it lasts for quite a while and is great mixed into mashed potato, stirred into sautéed veggies or to make a miso broth or ramen. Personally I prefer the Sweet White Miso, but the Brown Miso is also good too. I always buy organic soy products to make sure that we're not ingesting GMO foods.
Okay... enough chat. Here's the recipe and I hope you enjoy it :)
Serves: 4-6 depending on portion size
Ingredients for the sauce:
- 1.5 cups of Soya Milk (preferably unsweetened)
- 1 cup of Nutritional Yeast
- 3 Tbsp of Cornflour
- 2 Tbsp of Tahini
- 1 Tbsp of Sweet White Miso Paste (you can find this on Amazon or in M&S)
- Big squeeze of Lemon juice (probably 1/4 of a lemon)
- 1 tsp Onion Granules
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Mustard Powder
- Pinch of Onion Salt & Black Pepper
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper (anymore and it will be too spicy - you can leave this out)
Ingredients for the pasta:
- Pasta of your choice - I prefer whole wheat pasta or standard macaroni
- Frozen Vegetables (we like adding peas, spinach, broccoli or cauliflower) in order to increase the nutrition in the meal
Optional: sautéed veggies, mushrooms or a garlic baguette. The supermarket own brands tend to use margarine or sunflower spread (rather than butter) making them vegan friendly! You could also grate some vegan cheese over the top if you like.
1. Place your pasta & vegetables in a pan of boiling water.
2. Whilst the pasta is cooking, add all the sauce ingredients to a food processor and whizz it up so it all mixes together.
3. When the pasta is cooked, turn the cooker off, drain it and return it to the pan. Add the sauce and mix together.
4. Add it to the plate with your veggies or garlic bread. Sprinkle over some paprika, drizzle of EVOO and some extra nutritional yeast. Add your optional ingredients then eat!
The cheesy pasta itself is best eaten fresh as the sauce doesn't seem to reheat well and can harden. So if you're only cooking for 1 or 2 people, keep some sauce in a Tupperware box in the fridge for another day of fresh, gooey & cheesy goodness!
I'd love to see your pictures of some cheesy pasta - so take a photo and tag me in it on Facebook or Instagram using #definitelyveganscran. I hope you all enjoy it and I look forward to seeing your creations :)
Definitely Vegan x