My Ultimate Avocado Toast!
If you've been following me on Instagram for a while, you'll know that this Avocado Toast combo is one of my favourite meals. We eat it at least once a week and I always crave it on the weekends. It makes me really happy that a few of you have tried this already and love it :)
I put this together about a year ago and I've messed with it slightly (by adding greens under the Avocado which is nice) but... this combination that I'm going to share with you is the best in my opinion. Avocado Toast is amazing anyway and I regularly see people on my feed raving about it, but adding mushrooms on top makes it that extra bit delicious. Frank's gives it a little sweet but hot kick that is absolutely divine on avocado and the sauerkraut works extremely well and pulls the whole dish together.
I recently discovered that this also tastes good on bagels too and would probably be pretty damn tasty on top of a jacket potato or inside a hot pita! Yum! Do give this a go, you won't regret it and it only takes about 10 minutes to make.
- 1 ripe Avocado
- 1/2 tbsp. - 1 tbsp. Lemon Juice (depends how lemony you want your avo)
- Sprinkle of Dried Red Chilli Flakes or 1/2 tsp of Red Chilli (I use the Lazy Chilli stuff)
- Good pinch of Black Pepper
- Salt (optional)
- Drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 3-4 Chestnut Mushrooms (sliced)
- 1/2 tsp Garlic (Chopped or Lazy Stuff)
- Brown Bread for Toasting (I love the stuff with seeds in)
- Vegan Butter - we love Vitalite (you can get this in Tesco)
- Sauerkraut (we also get this in Tesco)
- Frank's Red Hot 'Original' Sauce (Yes, this is necessary!) and is my favourite hot sauce - it doesn't have any sugar in either. Sriracha's got nothing on Frank!
1. Slice your mushrooms & pop them in a frying pan on a low heat. The mushrooms will start to 'leak' water (sounds gross) but this means you don't need to use oil to cook them in (this is also the same if you lightly fry onions too). When they're looking watery, add the garlic. Continue to cook & keep stirring so they don't stick.
2. To make the smashed avocado, first cut the avocado in half and remove the stone. This is super easy if your avocado is ripe. Use a spoon to scoop out the gorgeous green flesh and put this in a bowl. Smash this up using the back of a fork (it's up to you whether you smash it until it is smooth or leave it with chunky bits) and add the lemon juice, chilli, black pepper (salt if required) and then mix this into the avocado. I usually add a splash of EVOO and mix this in too.
3. Pop your bread down in the toaster.
4. By this time the toast is done, the mushrooms will be cooked (they usually only take around 5-7 minutes). Once your toast is buttered you can begin to assemble the ingredients.
5. Avo comes first - spread that on nice and thick. Then add the mushrooms on the top of the avo, some sauerkraut on top of the mushrooms and a good drizzle of Frank's to finish it off!
6. Take a super quick photo (you have to be fast as it can go cold quickly).
7. Apply to face! The dream about when you're going to each it again haha.
If you put this together I'd love to hear your opinions. Do take a photo & tag me on Instagram or Facebook so I can drool like Homer Simpson! Just remember to 'tag' me so it comes up on my feed :) I hope you enjoy it and it becomes one of your regular brunch recipes!