Guest Recipe - Mama's Marinara by CarrotsnCashews
This is my go to sauce for many things, I've perfected it so much over the years my husband has nicknamed it 'Mama's Marinara'.
I make a big batch of it at the start of the week and use it for various recipes throughout. It's great just on pasta, or a pizza base, or instead of chopped tomatoes when making things like Lasagne or Bolognese. You can even just eat it on its own as a soup. I believe this sauce can heal anything, even a broken heart! So, if you need a nice warm cuddle, get some of this in your belly!
- 1 stick of Celery (chopped finely)
- 1 medium Carrot (chopped finely)
- 1 Onion (chopped finely)
- 1 roasted Pepper (either from a jar or roast a red pepper in the oven till charred, put in a bowl and cover with cling film, leave to cool, peel, de-seed and use!)
- 2 cloves of Garlic (chopped)
- Either chopped Chilli or a sprinkle of chilli flakes (depending on how hot you like it. You can leave it out if making for the little ones)
- Balsamic Vinegar (just a splash)
- 2wo tins of whole Plum Tomatoes
- Handful of herbs of your choice (I use parsley and basil)
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
1. Add a splash of olive oil to a pan on a medium heat. Add the celery, carrot and onion to the pan. Cook until soft stirring occasionally so they don't catch.
2. Add the garlic, roasted pepper and chilli and cook for a further couple of minutes.
3. Add a splash of balsamic vinegar and cook for a further minute.
4. Add 2 tins of whole plum tomatoes, fill up one of the tins with water and add that in too. Give it all a good stir and bring to a simmer.
5. Pop the lid on the pan and let it bubble for about 45 minutes. Giving it a stir now and then and checking it's not getting too dry (If it looks dry add more water).
6. Turn off the heat and add your chopped herbs and some black pepper.
7. Blend the sauce until smooth (I use a hand blender for this).
Love Billie xx
We hope you enjoy Mama's Marinara and we'd love to see what you make with this beautiful sauce so do take a photo and tag us on social media. This is Billie's Instagram Page and here's my Instagram and Facebook page. Can't wait to see your creations :) x